Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sludge Paste Technique

Dolly Brennan is also from the Chicago area and teaches and demonstrates for two or three stores there and also makes it up into Wisconsin too. Dolly used to own her own small stencil store and I feel fortunate that she is willing to travel and teach using the Dreamweaver Stencil line these days. I loved how she used the elongated punch to give this whale a watery feel. Sludge pasting is a technique where you can take two or three or even more colors of paste and pull them across a stencil for this beautiful mixed effect. The trick (it seems like there always is one, huh?) is to not overwork it. I like to place two or three colors of the paste down at one end of the stencil and then pull them across in one sweep if I can manage it. Dolly will be teaching this Fall at Stamp, Scrap N' More in Mundelein, IL (website address:www.stampscrapnmore.com) and she also teaches at Creative Cuts & Crafts, Villa Park, IL (www.creativecutsandcrafts.com)

3 comments:

Terrece said...

I love this whale. Great sample of sludge pasting. There are so many ways to use paste, I forget some. I've got to dig out my sludge jar!

Susan said...

Hi Lynell! Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. In answer to your question...yes I do use brass stencils in my machine. In fact all of my brass stencils are yours! I think I am one of your biggest fans. I have a huge binder that I keep all my stencils in and last time I weighed it it was over 12 pounds. So I have a lot of your stencils. They are my favorite. The layout for the card you commented on was inspired by a card you posted. I am making some cards for a swap that I am in and I am using three different stencils of yours to make the cards. I will be sure to post them when done. Thanks for designing such wonderful stencils and all your inspiration.

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

Hey, Susan! I am always amazed at the process and I am so grateful that you like our designs! Can't wait to see your postings, I will try to keep in touch with your blog! A lot of this blogging business is new for me, so hope I can keep up! Thanks. Feel free to email me some of your work sometime too if you are interested:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive