Thursday, September 27, 2012

Getting Inky with Dreamweaver Stencils! Joining the Challenge

Joy Hauck ...joining the challenge.

Today I received this creation in my email from our blog follower Joy Hauck. Thanks Joy for joining the challenge.


Here are her steps:

1. Stenciled the snowflakes (LJ819) with Versamark clear ink. 

2. Removed the stencil and sprinkled these with Stampendous Kaleidoscope embossing powder and heated with a heat gun. Next tapped on 3 colors of distress inks...  which the snowflakes "resisted" because of the powder.

3. Repeated steps 1 & 2  with Merry Christmas (LS92)

4. Spritzed these with Perfect Pearls mist for a lovely shimmery sheen.

5. Mounted and embellished with tinsel cord.


Rusty Card #1
Don't forget ...our challenge for the rest of the month is "Getting Inky with Dreamweaver Stencils". This time around we are letting our winners choose their favorite stencil. One winner is chosen for best interpretation of the challenge and one is chosen for best usage of Dreamweaver Stencils and products. Just link with mr. linky by clicking HERE or send me a photo of your creation to lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com and I will post your creation for you right here on my site. Only a couple of days left this month...thanks to those who have joined us already...looking forward to revealing a winner soon!

I'll be doing a series of Autumn Leaves creations here to celebrate Fall...Here is card #1!


Today's card which I am calling the "rusty" card, was done on watercolor paper and I used Creme Bruleé Color Solution Alcohol Ink (CS106). 

1. I started at one edge of the paper and tapped the loaded felt applicator (loaded with droplets of Creme Bruleé and also droplets of the thinner/cleaner (CSC). Because it was watercolor paper the inks really soaked into the paper. 

2. Then I tapped the leaf stencil (LJ906) with the Sienna colored Archival inkpad by Ranger and then sprayed this inked stencil with the thinner/cleaner solution (CSC) which I had put into a small spray bottle. The stencil surface is now very wet and sloppy, so....

3. Next I placed it onto a piece of scrap paper which was already positioned on the thick white platen of my "Big Shot" embossing machine,  (this is to protect the white platen from the excess seepage of the moist inks) next I positioned the watercolor paper (which I had prepped with the Creme Bruleé Color Solution in step #1) face down on this inked stencil. Now I put my rubber embossing mat (REM) ...which happens to be thicker than most rubber mats, onto the back of the watercolor paper. And the last step in this process is to place the two clear acrylic plates on top of the rubber mat and run this entire stencil "sandwich" through the embossing machine. If you would like the "recipe" for this process email me at lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com and I will send you the instructions.

4. After removing the "stack" of plates, the contrast of the two colors is quite stunning. Now I clean off the stencil and reposition it onto the leaves. I want to create even more contrast so I put drops of the cleaner/thinner on a cotton swab and daub this solution through the stencil onto the creme bruleé colored leaves. This daubing of thinner bleaches the creme color down into the watercolor paper and softens the look of the leaves. 

5. Once it is totally dry I take a very fine stylus and draw veins through the leaves and then take a 005 micro pigma pen by Sakura and do a bit of outlining to define the part of the design where you can imagine shadows would fall. 

Be sure to follow the team today and see how they are Getting INKy....






7 comments:

Louise said...

Stunning! I love how this turned out and will definately give this a try. The little bit of outlining really makes it dimensional!

Anonymous said...

Love the look, like Louise said, I have to try this.

Pam Hornschu said...

Amazing texture and dimension that you achieved with this technique!

JD/ Jill said...

Both are really neat cards...Hope I find time to play with my stencils this month...thanks for sharing.

Pam Hornschu said...

OH, wow, Joy! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing the technique as well. I bet it's even more amazing in person. Thanks for playing along again. We love our regulars!

Liz Martin said...

Love the glitter and shimmer in your card, Joy. One more for the "I definitely have to try this" list!

Terrece said...

Joy your card is beautiful! Great job. Love the glittery effect of the embossing powder. Glad you are playing along!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive